From healthy snacks to delicious desserts Celebrity Chef- Sabyasachi Gorai, gives some delicious recipes.
If you’re picking a healthy challenge here are meals packed with flavour, crunch, punch and zing from the Celebrity Chef-Sabyasachi Gorai. Chef Saby is the only recipient of the most coveted National Tourism Award, for “Best Chef of India”, awarded by the President of India. Chef Saby quit his high flying job as Culinary Director of Olive Bar and Kitchen, in 2012 and started his culinary academy to nurture and mentor young Chefs.
- Blueberry Protein Walnut Breakfast Bars
1 cup California walnuts
2 cups Gluten Free oats
1/4 cup plant-based vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup Gluten Free oats
1/4 cup California walnuts chopped finely
1/4 cup pepitas/pumpkin seeds
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup coconut milk
1. For the base, preheat oven to 176 °C.
2. Line bottom and sides of 9×9 square baking dishes with two pieces of parchment paper. Place parchment paper in opposite directions for easy removal.
3. Add all the ingredients for the base to your food processor and process on high until fully broken down and the mixture is doughy.
4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer with a spatula.
5. Bake 8 minutes.
- Rocket, California Walnut and Parma Ham Salad
8-10 Rocket leaves
½ cup California walnuts
100 g Parma ham
100 g Red grapes
50 g Gorgonzola cheese
25 g Asparagus
| Balsamic Dressing
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- For Balsamic Dressing: Mix all the ingredients except oil together. Thereafter, add oil to the mixture and mix well with a whisk.
2. Toast walnut in the oven at 170°C for 7-8 minutes.
3. To make Parma ham chips: Arrange the slices in one layer, without overlapping, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 170°C oven for 8- 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the ham stay in the oven for another 10 minutes. Remove and cool, then break into shards.
4. Clean, wash & dry rocket leaves, blanch asparagus in salted water for 3-4 minutes, remove with tongs & immediately transfer to iced water.
5. In a large bowl mix rocket leaves, grapes, asparagus, walnut & balsamic dressing.
6. Arrange salad in individual bowls, garnish with walnuts and parma ham chips. Finish the salad with crumbled gorgonzola cheese.
- California Walnut Milk
230 g California walnuts
700 ml water
1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Place the walnuts into a mixing bowl and pour over enough cold water to completely cover it and then leave to soak overnight.
2. Drain the walnuts and rinse under cold running water.
3. Place the soaked walnuts into a blender with the 700 ml of water and blend for 2 minutes.
4. Line a sieve with a piece of muslin cloth and strain, drawing together the corners of the cloth and twisting to extract as much of the milk as possible. You can keep the remaining walnut grounds to make bircher, muffins or stir into porridge.
5. Mix the milk with a pinch of salt and the maple syrup, pour into a jug and store in the fridge.
6. Add all the ingredients for the crumble to a bowl and mix.
7. Remove the baking dish from the oven, top with the crumble mixture into an even layer pressing the mixture gently into the crust.
8. Bake another 12 minutes in the oven.
9. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan 30 minutes prior to lifting the bars out of the pan with the parchment paper. Slice into 12 bars.
10. Store bars in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Toasted Walnut Hummus
1/2 cup California walnuts
3 tablespoons walnut oil
1 garlic clove, quartered
450 g can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Toast walnuts in 170°C oven for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
2. Combine toasted walnuts with oil and garlic and puree in food processor or blender until smooth.
3. Add chickpeas, orange zest, orange juice, salt and pepper and continue to blend to an even, smooth consistency. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
4. Serve hummus in small serving bowl alongside toasted pita bread or with a variety of colourful raw vegetables.